Saudi women are starting to ask for some rights. Way to go!
First: they are asking for the right to work, and they are getting it, slowly but surely. On the radio, one woman was wishing for a salesWOMAN at the lingerie deptartment of stores.
Needless to say, she is not very comfortable buying lingerie from a man. Most women end up buying lingerie that doesn't fit them because they are too uncomfortable trying it at the store, so they just buy it. Because it is underwear, they don't feel comfortable returning it either if it doesn't fit. Of course, the alternative is to travel abroad and get whatever it is that they need...for now.
If there is a woman to help ease this uncomfortable situation, that woman on the radio was saying, it would make everyone's life a little happier. I can assure you that the man is not all that comfortable either, given the rules of the country. How could you possibly sell underwear to a woman without looking at her? and that's just the beginning of the list.
I think that women and men still can not legally work in the same place. But I am also sure that they can afford a mall just for women, and I could see it working really well too. As a matter of fact, I am surprised that it doesn't exist yet.
Second: They are asking for the right to drive. Aaaaaaaaaa! Now that could be tricky. But I can't wait to see how it all falls into place.
I wonder, though, as Saudi women gain their independence at home, how will that affect their lives at home and abroad?
Links:
Saudi Women Want To Work
Saudi Women Want To Drive
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment