Ten years ago, my friends and I used to go to the local coffee shop for a good conversation. These conversations frequently spread to include strangers too. Rules were unspoken, really, but everyone seemed to know that they were always welcome to join in our conversation. It was a friendly place to be. Of course, we may never see them again. Hmmm, wait a minute! Is this starting to look like an intellectual one-night-stand? I guess it is. Is that so bad?
I must admit that I am missing this sort of instant conversation. You'd think that they are not too hard to come across, right? Starbucks and other coffee shops are on every corner and almost always full. But it is different. These conversations are getting harder and harder. Why?
My first blame goes to computers and cell phones. Everyone is at the coffee shop with their computers/cellphones looking busy and unapproachable. I can never tell if they are laughing about a joke that we are making or an email they just received.
Then, people usually go to a coffee shop either alone or as a couple. That's a problem! Think about it, if you are alone at a coffee shop, chances are you are not going to start a conversation by yourself, you are not likely to interrupt others' conversation - although some do, and I admire them for that. A couple is even worse. A couple at a coffee shop is inert and self sufficient. Most of the times, it feels like an intrusion to ask them for an extra seat at their table, let alone strike a conversation with them.
Finally, the environment at coffee shops has changed. Naturally, coffee shops are in it for the profit, and so they need the speedy turnaround. If you walk into a coffee shop, you will not find those cosy leather couches and arm chair surrounding a "coffee table" anymore. You will find tables for two, maybe a cosy chair or two by the fireplace, and maybe a table for four. Even if you try to join several tables together to seat a number of friends, you will end up blocking passages and creating a mess.
So, no coffee shops, got it! But if I am yearning for one of my good old intellectual one-night-stands, where should I go?
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment