Sunday, February 22, 2009

Movie Review: Where On Earth is Osama Bin Laden?

Not at all what I expected, but interesting movie.

I expected more of the Michael Moore style, I suppose. A lot of facts, shutting doors, exposing those at the top...etc. Which would have been interesting, but this one was different.

It was about someone who is about to become a father. He starts worrying about how to best protect his unborn child. One of his biggest worries is terrorism, and so he decides to end that by finally finding Bin Laden.

He travels through out the middle east and on to Afghanistan, Pakistan. In each country, he stops and asks average people on the street where they think Bin Laden is, and how they see the United States.

At the end of his trip, which was full of adventure, he realizes that since terrorism is everywhere, and no country is really safe from it, then even if he catches Bin Laden, it wouldn't make any difference.
A very mellow approach compared to what I was expecting.

It is funny that he starts his trip in Egypt. Egypt's friendliness didn't fail him. He interviews people, he is invited to their houses, met with a smile and open arms. They even mentioned on several occasions that they love the Americans, but it is rather the American policy that they resist.

Of course, Egypt is not exempt from terrorist attacks. A bomb went off in the middle of Cairo today. While extremely sad, it is still very mild when compared to what the rest of the region is seeing.

Throughout his trip, most countries met him with equal friendliness. The exceptions were: Israel, where no one wanted to talk to him except the police, and one lady; Saudi Arabia, where people were terrified of him (or perhaps their destiny if they were to talk); and Afghanistan where people were happy to talk to him, but the conversation was interrupted because extremists started attacking.

The reaction of Israelis and Saudis was particularly shocking to me. I would have guessed that they would be the first to opt in and extend their hospitality. Of course, I don't know what he said to them in the first place to generate this strong reaction. Perhaps I need to learn more about this region.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBt2nH_FF8

No comments:

Post a Comment